Glenfield Project Part 2

No pics, sorry about that.

Snaked the bore and it looks pretty good to me.

The spare front sight I have from the 795 fits great and looks to be the right height.

The trigger pull is no longer gritty, but it does feel quite heavy. You take up the slack and it just hits a wall. I suspect either gunk in the sear or the flat metal pieces that slide across the trigger group frame need to be cleaned with a detail strip.

Bad news though – I was putting the trigger guard back on and the rear lug snapped off. It didn’t break into the screw hole but the pot metal came apart. Given how the stock fits I think the stock I have is not quite the one the gun came with. The relief for the rear tang on the trigger guard was wedged in or allows the whole thing to be overtightened.

I have a replacement trigger guard from a newer Model 60, but its plastic and a different shape. Going to try and repair the pot metal guard but I don’t have much hope for it being a good repair.

I really didn’t want to restock this rifle. I’m wondering if I can do something like a bedding block to shift how it sits in the stock. I think I’ll plow ahead with refinishing the stock just to say I did it.

Glenfield Project Part 1

Soooo I apparently still have a blog.

Its the off season, aside from modern gun season for deer the Friends of the NRA are on break, the local pistol club is down to one match a month, and the guys aren’t what you’d call winter people. I went looking for a project.

The effort started with a Marlin 336 with a cracked stock. That took like 20 minutes to fix with some guidance from an expert friend. Then Court Days happened. For those of you not from around here, Court Days is a big town fair event in Mt. Sterling, KY. Its got your usual fair fare plus 4 blocks of guys buying and selling gun stuff. There are some deals to be had, everything is negotiable, and its a considerably different crowd than what you get at big city gun shows. Its a lot of fun and a great weekend.

While there I was being tight. I had money in the gun fund but just got the Marlin I also got a sweet deal on some ammo with price tags from 2010. Right near the end of a rainy Saturday some dude comes a walkin’ by with a beat to hell Glenfield Model 60. He had $100 on it, I was hoping for $40 but we struck a deal at $50. Its in shootable condition, but really really rough. I’m already intimately familiar with the Model 60, my first rifle was a Marlin Model 60 and I did my Appleseed with a 795. The 795 is the same action except with awful magazines instead of a tube. I also have the habit of detail stripping guns to see how they work and the 60/795 action is quite awkward to tear down.

So the good:

  • The rifle is in functional shootable condition
  • The rifle is common and very easy to find both replacement and upgrade parts for
  • It was $50. I’ve spent more money on far more wasteful and foolish endeavors
  • It is rough enough to give me a number of hours in the workshop instead of in front of a screen

The work:

  • Cleaning
  • It’ll need a new front sight, I think I have a spare from when I upgraded my 795 to Tech Sights
  • It needs a rear sight elevator. I could let the one from my 795 carry over
  • Buttplate is from an H&R
  • The stock needs completely refinished, someone started sanding and stopped
  • Probably due for some internals, maybe a firing pin, mainspring and possibly a bolt
  • Stock refinishing, I’m not totally new to woodwork but I often lack the patience to do good finish work. Preserving the carving on this should be an interesting challenge.

Goals:

  • Return it to a usable rifle. The 60 is a solid reliable design and a good shooting rifle. It needs to keep being that.
  • Keep it looking nice. I’m leaning towards a green stain, but we’ll see if we can save the carving work first.
  • Learn something. I will not be turning my own barrel, but I will be doing more than bolting AR parts together.
  • Not spend a lot of money on the project. No reason to throw $300 in parts at a $50 shooter just because I was bored over the winter.

If you happen to have any odds and ends Marlin 60 bits or a buttplate for a 1950’s 336 holler at me. If you need a random buttplate from an H&R something its yours.

For our next installment you should see me making some progress on the stock. Pics below…

Laid out on the bench

IMGP0053

Totally inappropriate buttplate. I hope to preserve the squirrel carving

IMGP0054

Bottom of the stock was sanded down. Someones name was carved in it.

IMGP0055

They apparently do not sell Hoppes #9 or CLP in central KY.

IMGP0057

The fit around the rear of the receiver is not great. Not sure how to fix this.

IMGP0060

Hosed it down with CLP and let it drain out.

IMGP0067

Wiping, scraping, and more CLP.

IMGP0065

Tonks seemed interested. Not sure if CLP fumes float or sink, so lets not make any assumptions here.

Tactical Cat Inspects the 60